

# Volleyball Ireland Schools AGM

May 6<sup>th</sup>, 2020 at 2pm

Online AGM via 'Zoom'

## Attendees:

Aoife O'Malley	AOM	Mungret Community College
Jennifer Ó Buachalla	JOB	Grange Community College
Vivienne O'Neill	VON	St. Leo's College Carlow
Niamh O'Hare	NOH	Sutton Park School
Ciara Hanlon	CH	Davis College
Katie Wallace	KW	Mountrath Community School
Siobhan Tully	ST	Roscommon CC
Pauline del la Chiesa	PDLC	Colaiste Mhuire
Mary Barrett	MB	St. Brigid's College
Conor Flood	CF	Volleyball Ireland (Chairperson)
Norma McIntyre	NM	Volleyball Ireland (Minute Taker)
Eugene Beggy	EB	Holy Family SS

Apologies: Ciara Hanlon

## Opening Remarks

CF: All very welcome and talking through the agenda for the AGM.

## Talking Points 2019-2020

### Allowing more cadets to play up to increase numbers?

CF: Idea last year was to allow more juniors to play cadets i.e 1<sup>st</sup>-4<sup>th</sup> years can play. Looking for an agreement.

PDLC: Allow 2<sup>nd</sup> years up it's good experience.

CF: Agrees. Counterargument is there is mini volleyball for them. Is there anyone against it?

VON: Wasn't aware it was in use but does it not penalise the older players and may not make the make a team?

CF: That was the a second reason as to limiting players playing up

EB: The number of teams are decreasing year on year so if you don't allow 1<sup>st</sup> and 2<sup>nd</sup> years the numbers will keep going down. The idea to get as many playing as possible.

ST: I'm from a small school and this really helped and befitted players when they went back to junior they were more experienced. I wouldn't have had a cadet team.

PDLC: In our team we kept the old rule and brought only 1 or 2 2<sup>nd</sup> years up but mainly played their own level. Maybe keep a limit on how many can play up?

CF: Limit 2 years ago was 2 are we looking to increase the limit?

PDLC: Allow smaller schools to bring as many up and bigger schools limit to 2 going up.

CF: There needs to be more clarity I believe in rules. Vote: 4 yes 4 no tie

CF: OK next proposal bring 3 juniors up?

EB & VON: A Division team has a limit but B and C divisions no limit

CF: Max 2 juniors up to your A division team (1<sup>st</sup> team) and no limit up to B and C teams. All agreed.

### **Host schools to provide referee and scorers or not host?**

**CF:** Was there an issue with this I didn't get many complaints about this.

**EB:** If someone is hosting you are in charge of organising anything it is your responsibility. i.e access to a hall and referees. From a financial perspective not to ask visiting school for contribution.

**NOH:** We don't have a hall and hosting so we have to hire halls. I don't think it's fair to say you lose privilege of hosting for that reason.

**EB:** Its unfair to ask a school to pay for a bus all the way down the country and then contribute to hall costs as well

**PDLC:** Newbridge has 2 courts we don't and have to pay for both halls and buses.

**EB:** We are getting a lot of pressure from finance side of school being asked why do you have to pay.

**KW:** If host school doesn't have a venue we would find one mid-way and both schools contributed to costs.

**CF:** Solution. Neutral venue isn't going to happen all of the time. Are we ok with how it is or do we need to find a solution?

**PDLC:** Maybe at group stages a school with 2 courts host?

**CF:** Home team should cover cost but when it is outside costs are dividied? Do we reduce leagues to 7 teams?

**KW:** That is more days out of school for me which is not doable.

**CF:** sorry correction, still have 3 days out just means there are 3 teams coming together instead of 4 therefore one court would work at each round while the other 4 play on a 2 court venue. There is no answer to this. So leaning to hosting teams should cover costs if renting outside venue?

**ST:** I don't think it is fair as the host to ask visiting school to pay I don't have a hall.

**CF:** Can't host group games if you don't have a venue?

**VON:** Should be just split between teams involved.

**KW:** The way we get around with principal is we split the hall but no refs cost for us.

**JOB:** We don't have a hall our school won't agree to pay half a hall venue.

**CF:** Vote- Host covers all cost who agrees: 2

**CF:** Split costs for outside venue: Who agrees: 6 Passed. But if any suggestions let me know we can bring it back.

### **Hosting All Ireland in the Republic**

**CF:** Great event and really raised the profile. EB & PDLC agrees. Next year goes to NI and back to ROI.

### **Referee standards at finals**

No issues.

### **Mixed Volleyball Options**

**CF:** Anyone interested in mixed volleyball?

**NOH:** Yes, we struggle to keep boys in the sport.

**CF:** Idea of a 1 day blitz. We will have a look into this. For which ages?

**ST:** I agree with Niamh. Cadet and Senior

**CF:** 4v4 or 6v6

**Both:** 6v6

### ***Stricter Deadlines***

**CF:** How were deadlines? There was a concern raised about communication and coordinator. No coordinator but responsibility falls on both teams. Show of hands for an appointed coordinator for every match.

**JOB:** Is the host always going to be a coordinator? Are we giving them too many jobs?

**EB:** I agree for host to be coordinator.

**KW:** What I found difficult was lack of teachers phone number. Phone numbers for teachers made available.

**CF:** I'll make sure teachers provide numbers.

**CF:** Host is coordinator agreed 6

**MB:** Can we be more specific with details as to who is looking after boys and girls teams within schools to avoid contacting the wrong person in the school.

**AOM:** Anyway making sure the group you are in there is more options with halls. I found there was only 1.

**CF:** I'll try look at it a bit more on your side.

**AOM:** I don't know how I can keep travelling to Galway for the next couple of years.

### ***Referee Courses for Schools/ Teacher becoming Referee Tutor***

**CF:** Moving towards you teachers being tutors. We are happy for you to tutor we will provide resources and reduce costs. If you prefer VI referee to come to you that is fine also.

### ***Coaching Sessions in Schools at start of the Year***

**CF:** Spoke about coaching sessions at start of year it didn't happen. Do we want to revisit? Discussion moved towards coaching courses- to be discussed later

### ***Spikeball Rule Change & Age category***

**CF:** Rule change last year. Are we happy with rule change? (Catch-throw-volley) Rule sticks

### ***Coaching App & LTAD***

**CF:** Still an appetite for the app?

Consensus was yes still interest.

**CF:** LTAD we will have a complete structure at start of Sept-Aug. Working on it right now.

## **Talking Points 2020-2021**

### ***New Formats or Structures to be Discussed***

**CF:** Possible change of formats before Christmas? Will teams be able to travel, will it still happen? Does need to be reduced. What do you think?

**KW:** ?

Consensus schools will be back later not September

**NOH:** Schools wont be back till end of Sept and talk of no mid term breaks. I don't know

**MB:** I think if we get back playing which I am not sure if it will happen. If it does we might need to look at a blitz instead. We need to think outside of the normal box. We have missed so much time with our 5<sup>th</sup> years this year. Teachers may not want the leavening cert students out of school. Might mean Saturday blitz.

**CF:** Is the 1 day blitz the Plan B?

**MB:** 2 timed sets.

**CF:** 1 day blitz with Semi and finals can we get on the same day?

**MB:** Intervarsities style

Consensus 1 day blitz.

**CF:** What about cadets

**CF:** Looking at reducing the days out to be

**JOB:** Put it in the calendar as soon as possible so schools can block it off

**CF:** I'll need to book halls so I will come back to you in August.

Blitz day and finals day

#### **4v4 Volleyball- Server Rotates after 3**

**CF:** Need to rotate server in mini volleyball?

Consensus every ok to pass

#### **Spikeball to See 1<sup>st</sup> Year Mixed Comp Return?**

**CF:** Mixed is back in

#### **4 Teams & 1 Court Issue**

**CF:** Is there a better format than the partner teams 2v2?

**NOH:** We had issue 2 teams playing and 2 sitting off in 1 court hall. Was wasted time for those sitting off.

**CF:** If there are 4 teams and 1 court it cannot be held in a 1 court hall min 2 court.

**Consensus:** agreed

**EB:** Teams who top the league should be given some advantage?

**EB:** 1<sup>st</sup> and 2<sup>nd</sup> gets home advantage

**ST:** Can you clarify if you don't have a venue?

**EB:** Nominate the venue

**ST:** What happens with payment?

**CF:** Semi finals are split cost if neutral venue. Ranking and advantage consensus? Yes: 4 No: 4  
Yes top 2 get home advantage and select venue

No: Neutral venue neutral referee

**ST:** Referees in a semi-final if you have home advantage and you use your own students to ref?

**CF:** This year was neutral venue and neutral ref

**EB:** If we had a number of teams travelling

Who wants to stick to neutral venue and ref: Vote 5 v 3 Passed

#### **New Shield Competitions Review**

**CF:** Everyone happy with that? Bottom 4 goes into shield all happy

#### **GoMembership Platform – Year 2**

Couldn't find affiliation was consensus.

**CF:** We will make it clearer and easy to find

#### **Teacher Training-Annual Primary School Teacher Training Conference**

**CF:** We really need you guys to let us know. Teacher conference at start of the year. Is there an appetite for that? Consensus Yes.

**CF:** What workshops, CPDs do you want and other schools need? What would bring new schools in?

**AOM:** To get new schools in is the basics workshops.

**CF:** 2 hour workshop? We think 2-4pm 2 hour workshop, during school after school? Trying to find the right time.

Suggested for Saturdays.

**MB:** We will be fighting to get out so anything before or after or at the weekend would be ideal and be specific i.e a setting workshop, serve receive. I think that's what we need. And different levels within that i.e jump serve, float serve or just standing serve.

**CF:** Like the Coaching Masterclass? 2 hour evening workshop and what location?

Consensus from those who attended was yes more of them.

**ST:** Wants drills based workshops and Saturday might be more inclined.

**ST:** Lesson plans make less work for teachers and encourage them to get involved in coaching and helping with school teams.

## School Brochure Feedback

It is to entice schools in.

**KW:** If you did the brochure for primary schools. We find our primary schools done play.

**CF:** How do we reach out to Primary school? We have LTAD programmes and CEV programme for PS. If you have any suggestions let me know. Also TY volley is great programme for enlisting local primary schools

**CF:** I'm open to suggestions and will contact the primary school.

## Any Other Business

**CF:** Any major concerns?

**VON:** Suggestion PEAI Conference in Carlow this year. I think VI should be at it every year. Teachers attending always looking for new things.

**CF:** We know it is key but they insist they rotate NGB attending workshops.

**VON:** If you related it to the Leaving cert PE it is another way to get new schools in.

**CF:** We offered this and there were barriers.

**PDLC:** Will put some feelers out in PEAI.

**CF:** I'll ask Erica Fatini. What do we focus on 4v4?

**VON:** Have a specific aim i.e for junior cert or leaving cert PE exam

**PDLC:** We need to be pushing volleyball instead of Spikeball.

**CF:** Target juniors?

**EB:** Start with juniors and school can build up from there.

**VON:** As a programme for kids who are new to the sport not those who already play it.

## School Comps Division

Consensus no point looking at it until September.

Taking Spikeball out of 2<sup>nd</sup> year anyone upset? No

**AOM:** Is Mini Volleyball a 1 day event?

**CF:** Yes

**MB:** Mini Volleyball 2 days in a local area. Fun and more matches kids play.

**CF:** Obviously less travel the better depends on numbers.

## Finals Dates

CF: Everyone happy with the spread? Yes  
 KW: (signal bad) Looking to setup in midlands- AIT?  
 CF: They didn't partner with us so we went to Kilkenny  
 JOB & ST: Cheap hall but equipment is not good  
 CF: I'll research halls in midlands other than AIT

**Team list**

CF: Fill out team sheets in the event I get a query.  
 ST: Can I clarify you can add to list?  
 CF: Can make your panel as big as you want. Sticking to 12 for match day.

**Election of Coordinators**

Senior Girls	Pauline della Chiesa
Cadet Girls	Siobhan Tully
Junior Girls	Vivienne O'Neill
Senior Boys	Mary Barrett
Cadet Boys	Mary Barrett
Junior Boys	Mary Barrett
Spikeball	Not Filled
Girls Senior Cup	Pauline Della Chiesa
Boys Senior Cup	Mary Barrett/Jennifer Ó Buachalla

**Closing Remarks**

CF: Our AGM is getting bigger more than double on last year. Thank you for attending and enjoy the rest of the Summer. We will catch-up with you before the season.