After a pilot programme stopped by COVID in 2020, this year we are ready to launch the DIVA programme 2022/23.
The Developing Inspiring Volleyball Activators (DIVA) programme educates and empowers female college students to increase volleyball participation at their institution. Each DIVA will be provided with training, equipment and resources to establish Social Volley in their College. This can take the form of traditional Volleyball or Sitting Volleyball; which is designed for people with a physical disability and/or mobility issues. As well as creating inclusive recreational opportunities for students, the DIVA programme provides essential professional development for students to gain life and employability skills during their time at University.
Eight candidates were selected to take part in the programme:
- Anastasia Irinei – Maynooth University
- Casey Owens – University College Cork
- Daniela Bowers – University of Galway
- Gloria Gudelj – South East Technological University Carlow
- Margarita Caka – University College Dublin
- Nathalie Guevara Nasthas – University College Cork
- Nina Suranova – University of Galway
- Tristen Connelly – Trinity College Dublin
DIVAs will meet up this weekend for a full day of training in Dublin, before starting social volley activities in their universities.